Email address

Email address
Email all your Cub questions to me at this address.

Saturday, November 17, 2007

That's Just Fantastic, 101 Years In The Coming

Not sarcastically either. Lou Piniella says that by the year 2009, the Cubs will be a World Series team. It's truly a great article.
Also, Goatriders.org in it's most recent post brings up a great point. The Cubs have approximately 28 million to spend, and they ask how you would spend it. I don't want to steal their idea, so I'm not going to tell you to answer that in a Cub-ment like on the poll. I'm just going to tell you my ideas.
First of all, I'd sign Kaz Matsui for that 3yr/14.4mm he was offered. That spends about 5 million/year, we'll say, so the Cubs have 23 million left. Then I'd pursue Japanese Chinichi Dragon OF Kosuke Fukudome. That would probably be 8-10 million/year. The Cubbies now have 13-15 million left to spend. I'd re-sign Kerry Wood for a 1 year contract for 2 mm/year with incentives for number of appearances. That leaves the Cubs probably 9-10 million left. I'd then trade one of my favorite Cubs, Matt Murton, and another Cub, Ryan Dempster, along with Rich Hill to relieve some salary for a well-to-do 4 or 5 starter. An example of this would be Cliff Lee. That would add most likely about 3 million to the Cubs payroll, and then I'd trade Marquis for a 5 starter like James Shields.
We'll then assume the Cubs have 15 million to spend. I'd then sign Bartolo Colon for 7 or 8 Million, as no-one in their right minds will ever give him 4 years/51 million again after 2 horrible years. That way, the Cubs have enough money to sign somebody if something doesn't work out, they have enough money to trade and pick up salary, and they have all of their immediate needs filled. That's just me though.
Also, I have to give a shoutout to my favorite quarterback in the NFL Rex Grossman and I want to wish him luck tomorrow, and GO BEARS. If they go 6-1 in their last 7 games, they have a great chance of making a wild card spot.
Until tomorrow,
Ryan

No comments: